Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How I got here: Part 2- Addiction

Salvatore Santamaria

The year was 2002 and I was graduating from high school. I had worked at Hole in the Wall paintball for a few years, and was looking for a new gun. The Spyder Compact 2000 I owened shot well, but it wasn’t fast, or cool. (The 16 inch All American barrel was pretty cool at the time though.) I wanted an Intimidator, or an Angel, but I couldn’t afford one. Then, Smart Parts came out the Impulse. It was fast, accurate, electronic, and, affordable. Up until the Impulse electronic markers ran easily into the $1000 range, and that was the low end. Actually, there was no electronic low end. $1000 was it.

I pickup up an Impulse, it a was a great little gun. I didn’t have much money, so I had bought it without eyes. Later I upgraded it with some eyes, or, at the time, eye, since it only took 1. I was hooked, and I played every weekend, although all of it in the woods. Speedball was fun but I didn’t have a local place to play. I entered in a couple tournaments, but I had no concept of speedball, and I placed a consistent last. I sought take first. Hole in the Wall had some great fields, but no speedball. Later, I bought a blue Angel Speed. It had the COPS system, which didn’t use an eye, rather a rod pushed onto a pressure sensitive pad. A halo hopper would break the sensor, so I used a Viewloader Egg hopper.

At that time I was attending Green River Community College. I started there in the Running Start during my senior year in high school. I transferred to WSU after obtaining my AA. Moving across the state meant only playing when I came back for the summer. Money was tough, so I sold my Angel for a Ion, and used the difference to buy paint. I planned to start paintball seriously when I graduated.


Next week: OTC

No comments:

Post a Comment